About the project
VDrift is a cross-platform, open source driving simulation made with drift racing in mind. It's powered by the excellent Vamos physics engine. It is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) v2. It is currently available for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X and Windows (Cygwin).
This game is in the early stages of development but is already very playable. Currently the game features:
- Over 20 tracks, almost 30 cars
- Simple networked multiplayer mode
- Very realistic physics
- Mouse/joystick/keyboard driven menus
- Fully modeled tracks, scenery and terrain
- Several different camera modes
- Basic replay system with Skip Forward/Skip Backward
- Fully customizable controls
- Joystick, mouse and keyboard input filtering
- Brake lights
- Driver aids: automatic shifting, traction control, anti-lock braking
- Highly configurable controls
The game has been in development since early 2005. So far, every release has been a testing/development quality release. For this and other reasons, dates are used instead of version numbers. At VDrift's core is the Vamos Automotive Simulator, which was written prior to VDrift's development.
For a more detailed history look at the Release Changelogs.